Wednesday 14 October 2009

Putting the 4th century BC in the spotlight!

Today, TA NEA in Greece printed my responses to the articles circulated in the Greek press last week regarding my new book From Democrats to Kings.

Today's article consists of interview responses from me to a range of questions including what the book seeks to accomplish, what it says about Alexander and the Spartans, as well as what I understand the study of history to be about. The article can be seen here:

http://www.tanea.gr/default.asp?pid=2&ct=4&artid=4541082

I am hoping that Proto Thema will also be running an interview with me this coming Sunday.

In the meantime, it appears that From Democrats to Kings has been reaching the news in countries from Brazil all the way to Russia. It seems that finally the 4th century BC is getting the attention it deserves as we seek to understand the crucial moments of the ancient world.

That debate continues here in Cambridge too - I was discussing this week with one of the Faculty's PhD students about her work on Lycurgus and the importance of theatre in Athens during the second half of the 4th century. Her work is really bringing into focus just how much Athens tried to put the cultural trump card of theatre and Attic tragedy at the centre of their attempts to stay ahead of everyone else in Greece at this time - particularly Macedon who were trying to claim the playwright Euripides as one of their own.

I will be talking about my book From Democrats to Kings at Heffers, Trinity St, Cambridge on 21st October at 6.30pm. Tickets available from Heffers - where I hope these discussions will only continue to flower!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this

Bookmark and Share